Friday, August 3, 2012

Catching up, part 3: Back on Goose Creek, nudes with Lauralyn

As I mentioned in my first "catching up" post, I haven't had the opportunity to do much shooting in the area that I am most passionate about, fine art nudes.  I met a fellow photographic artist, Lauralyn Wilkins, a few weeks ago at a mutual friend's house.  She has a blog The Big Ugly that features self-portrait photographs that she does with the 10 second timer on her camera.  She's also local to the area, and we arranged to collaborate on some photographs, which we had the opportunity to do on the afternoon of July 22, 2012.

We got out to my favorite location on Goose Creek about 4:30 and got right to work.  I started out behind the camera, and put Lauralyn in model mode.  Her shooting process is rather dynamic:  she sets up her shot using a small table and a gorilla grip tripod for her camera, then she sets the timer and makes a mad dash to get into her set up shot and posed in the 10 seconds before the camera takes the image.  My process is much more static, and requires holding poses for an extended period of time, or laying semi-submerged in water for several minutes while I shoot from various angles.  She did a fantastic job in everything I asked her to do.  Later in the afternoon, she commented on how challenging she found it to hold the long poses and how different it was having someone else in control behind the camera.  This was only the second time she had modeled for another photographer, but as I said, I think she did very well.  After we finished working what I wanted to do, she got into her self-photography mode and set up a couple of shots.  I have done some self portrait work, and I understand how challenging it is getting your shot set up and then getting the posing done so that it looks good.  I have to say that she does a much better job at it than I do. 

So, here are some images from my set, and then a few images that I shot of Lauralyn while she was doing her set.  Hope you enjoy!














 











No comments:

Post a Comment